Independence Group NL (ASX: IGO) is a leading ASX-listed exploration and mining company with a strategic focus on high quality assets of scale and longevity, and an evolving strategy to align the business to the structural shift to energy storage. IGO’s Nova Operation is located in the Fraser Range, approximately 160km east-northeast of Norseman, 360km southeast of Kalgoorlie and 380km from the Port of Esperance in Western Australia.
DESIGN | CONSTRUCT | COMMISSION
Primero have been retained by Independence Group’s Nova operation since 2017 rendering various Sustaining Capital, Shutdown and Plant Maintenance projects.
Heavy Vehicle Washbay
Primero were engaged to provide a turnkey design and construction solution to upgrade Nova’s existing non-functional Washbay. IGO were struggling with environmental non-compliance and heightened plant maintenance costs due to the extremely poor water quality in their underground mine. Care was requested to ensure minimal disruption to existing Washbay services as possible.
Highlights of the scope of work include:
- Bulk earthworks to correct falls in the immediate area around the Washbay;
- Decommissioning and removal of all existing mechanical systems including excavation of existing in-ground Puraceptor;
- Concrete extensions to HV and LV Bays including Trench Spray extension;
- New Mechanical concrete pad to house Recycled Water and Oil Tanks, Pumps and Oily Water Treatment System;
- Install of LV Drive-over Ramps with cladded spray walls;
- Install of 6 automated water cannons, high flow hose reels and pressure washer reel/lances to HV Wash Bay;
- Install of high flow hose reels and pressure washer reel lances to LV Wash Bay;
- Install of an automated trench wash spray system with dedicated pump;
- Install of an Ultrapspin HD125 Oily Water Treatment System;
- Install of UV Water Treatment Systems;
- Upgrade of existing standpipe system including dedicated new pump;
- Install of new multistage Washdown water pump system to feed hose reels and Barminco Workshop;
- Install of a new sediment pit and pneumatic pump system at the Barminco Workshop;
- Install of two new slurry pumps and trench systems at the site refuelling bay and associated discharge pipework back to the Washbay sediment pit; and
- All associated electrical install including new MCC module, DB, control panels, cabling and revised area lighting.
I just wanted to commend and thank the Primero work group that were at Nova over the last two weeks for their hard work and dedication to constructing the 750kL/day MAK Water Treatment Plant; the two photos below show the extent of the works in such a short timeframe. In two weeks the crew landed all the equipment (2 x 40ft SWRO containers, 4 x Multimedia Filters, Flocculant Dosing Skid, Oxidation Skid, 3 individual pump skids and 5 x 50kL Tanks), connected all pipework (buried or run in overhead pipe-trace where possible), installed the distribution board, ran all cables, and terminated all power and controls into the cabinets.
As impressive as all this is, more so is that they executed close to 2,000-man hours without an incident. Their commitment to safety was noted.